The Reuben was always a huge favorite of mine, and I’m thrilled to Paleo-ize it today, thanks to Melissa Joulwan’s new cookbook! This is Dan from Primal4Life reviewing ”Well Fed 2” and creating the “Reuben Paleo Wrap.” If you’ve read the original Well Fed, you might have been super-amazed (like I was!) at all of the phenomenal recipes and tips! When I saw Well Fed 2 available at Julian Bakery, I ordered it right up. Melissa’s recipes range from basic and really tasty, to really exotic and even just “out there” but super delish. I also love the sauces that she shares… Today’s Reuben has her Russian Dressing, and I am a big fan of that one now that I’ve made it and enjoyed it! Plus her dressings and sauces are all based from her Olive Oil Mayo… Once you made the mayo, you can combine it with some other items in a bowl, and boom! You’re ready to make a totally different recipe, using real ingredients. Love that…. No wondering what’s in your Remoulade, or Garlic Mayo, or even Tartar Sauce! Because you made it!!! With Melissa’s help, our course…
This Reuben begins with some of Bubbies sauerkraut, a personal favorite of mine which I have been using to help heal my gut for the past several years. Next up, some chopped onion, a little Nuco Liquid Premium Coconut Oil, caraway seeds, corned beef (I used Applegate Roast Beef), and some Paleo Butter as well! We finish it off with a kosher pickle from Bubbies, and wrap this Reuben in a couple Paleo Wraps! Why Paleo Wraps? Because they have no gluten, no GMO’s, no soy, no dairy, no added salt…. It’s just organic coconut, with only four net carbs, and just seventy calories per wrap! You can’t come close to any of those stats when comparing to other wraps on the market….
- 1 jar (2 lbs) sauerkraut
- ½ medium onion, diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 Tsp Nuco Liquid Premium Coconut Oil
- 1 TBSP caraway seeds
- 1 lb corned beef (roast beef worked for me!), sliced thin
- 2 Tsp Paleo Butter
- Sunfood Super Foods Fine Himalayan Crystal Salt to taste
- Paleo Wraps
- Russian Dressing
- Kosher pickle, olives
1) Place the sauerkraut in a sieve and rinse under running water. Allow to drain in the sieve while you dice the onion. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high, then add the coconut oil. When the oil is melted, add onions and caraway seeds, sauté until the onions are soft and beginning to brown, about 7-10 minutes. Add the sauerkraut, cover, and simmer on low heat, 20-30 minutes. Add Sunfood Super Foods Fine Himalayan Crystal Salt to taste.
2) A few minutes before you’re ready to eat, warm a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat and add Paleo Butter. When the Paleo Butter is melted, add the beef and move it around the pan to coat it in melted ghee. Heat through.
3) Add beef to Paleo Wrap, top with sauerkraut, drizzle with Russian Dressing, add a pickle on the side, and dig in immediately!
This recipe was absolutely delicious, and I want another ASAP! Yet I’m fully satiated, satisfied, and happy!! I also enjoy how Melissa suggests sides that pair up with her meals; in this case she suggests her “Classic Cole Slaw”, “Green Beans with Sizzled Garlic”, “Crisp-Sweet Collards”, “Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup”, or “Golden Cauliflower Soup”. All of those sound healthy as ever and simply amazing too! Flipping through the book, you will find some tempting meals that will make you wanna go “Yum!” Like her “Sunrise Scramble”, “Thai Basil Beef”, “Lemon Lamb Tagine”, and her “Sunny Day Strawberries” look like a wonderfully delicious treat!
Besides the meals, she has a bunch of great tips, advice, a cool personal story, and more! I would pick up Well Fed 2 from Julian Bakery, combined with some Paleo Wraps and Paleo Bread, so you too can make great meals and cook like a Paleo Pro! www.JulianBakery.com/Paleo is where it’s at, check ‘em out, buy ‘em up, and eat ‘em up without worry… They keep things GMO feel, low in carb and sugar, so you can feel good, recover quicker, and perform like a champ! Speaking of…. You may want to check out the new Paleo Protein, which is made with egg whites!
Previous Blog Post: Nom Nom Paleo Book Review & Recipe