Cooking Empanadas together as a family can be fun, but it can also be frustrating. But thanks to the Paleo Pizza Crust Mix, our meal prep as a fam got that much more stress free! This is Dan from Primal4Life bringing you “Primal Chicken Enchilada Empanadas”. So we’ve got the Primal Cravings cookbook out, and these empanadas look fantastic!!! For a second I started to stress over the ingredients to make the dough, but then a light-bulb went off in my head…. Let’s us that wonderful and easy to make Paleo Pizza Crust Mix that we got from Julian Bakery! This literally saves us a whole bunch of time and frustration, plus we are replacing tapioca and potato flour along with sunflower oil with almond and arrowroot flour, and pumpkin powder too! It’s a great grain-free mix that we’ve turned into pizzas, calzones, Beef Wellington, and now empanadas!
With a bunch of real ingredients, this recipe comes together in no time… Well really it’s like an hour, but for an intricate recipe it’s not too bad at all. But trust me, it’s soooo worth it! A little effort goes a long way, and you end up with empanadas that have no soy, corn, gluten, or GMO’s. I’d say no dairy, but we ended up going with the optional crumbled goat cheese. Feel free to omit them to stay fully Paleo if you wish.
How To Video Recipe:
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp powdered onion
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Quantum Pink Salt to taste
- 4 oz crumbled goat cheese (optional)
For the dough:
- 1 bag Paleo Pizza Crust Mix
- ½ cup water
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 TBSP water
1) Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a sheet pan.
2) In a sauce pot, combine tomato sauce, chicken stock, and spices. Add cubed chicken breast and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, prepare the dough by emptying Paleo Pizza Crust Mix into a large bowl, adding half a cup of water, and a pinch of sea salt. Mix well by hand, then get out a large sheet of parchment paper.
4) Divide the dough into 10 uniform balls. Split each ball in half. Use your hands to press the dough into very thin discs. Place one disc on the sheet pan, top with 3 tablespoons of enchilada filling and goat cheese (if using). Top with another dough disc. Roll the sides of the dough up around the filling and press to create a seal. Continue until all the dough has been used.
5) Use a pastry brush to lightly brush the empanadas with egg wash.
6) Bake until golden brown, about 28 to 30 minutes.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 50 min
Makes: 5 empanadas
What an amazing meal this was… It just seems like whatever form the Paleo Pizza Crust Mix ends up in, it comes out fantabulous! And without any detrimental side effects for someone that has autoimmune issues (me), that is awesome news! I love how in just over an hour you can have some fresh, home-made empanadas, with all real ingredients that are nourishing on the body and without the inflammatory ingredients that “other” empanadas may contain.
Check out www.JulianBakery.com/Paleo to purchase your Paleo Pizza Crust Mix today! While you are at it, make sure you stock up on your Paleo Wraps which come in the original coconut as well as turmeric! Thanks for taking a moment to check out our Primal Chicken Enchilada Empanadas, don’t forget to grab your copy of Primal Cravings, and have a great day!