This is Dan from Primal4Life bringing you ”Spaghetti and Meatballs.” Did I ever think I could enjoy a classic dish like Spaghetti and Meatballs, ever again? No…. As I slowly transitioned into the Paleo scene, I would occasionally do some other gluten free pastas…. But they still spike your blood sugar, not as bad as traditional pasta or wheat, but it still isn’t Paleo. Reading “Make it Paleo”, we realized that using spaghetti squash could be super delicious! We both are fans of spaghetti squash, it is extremely nutritious, and with that great sweet taste, what’s not to love? Well, when you merge the squash into this dish, you’ll soon find out how delicious it truly is! Plus, we made it “that much better”, by adding a slice of garlic’ed coconut Paleo Bread™, and finished with the ever so tasty Paleo Butter. Let’s see how this dish comes together, so you can enjoy it with your family ASAP!
Ingredients (for the Meatballs):
• 1 lb ground beef (original recipe calls for ground turkey)
• ¾ cup onion, finely chopped
• 1 egg, whisked
• 2 tbsp Coconut Aminos
• 1 tsp each of garlic powder, salt, and pepper
Ingredients (for the Marinara Sauce):
• ¾ cup chopped onion
• 2 tbsp minced garlic
• 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 cans diced tomatoes, no salt added
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 tsp oregano
• 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Ingredients (for the Spaghetti):
• Spaghetti squash
Ingredients (for the garlic toast):
• 1 slice coconut Paleo Bread™
• 1 tsp minced garlic
• 1 tsp Paleo Butter
1) Preheat oven to bake at 350 F
2) In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine ground meat, onion, egg, coconut aminos, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
3) Form ground meat mixture into 1-inch balls, and place on two parchment-lined baking sheets.
4) Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes.
5) In a sauce pan, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil on medium heat.
6) Once onion and garlic have reduced and infused the olive oil with flavor, add two cans of diced tomatoes.
7) Add salt, pepper, oregano, and parsley to sauce and stir, combining all ingredients.
8) Bring sauce to a boil, turn down to simmer, and let simmer for 20 minutes covered. If sauce starts to boil when covered, then remove lid.
9) While sauce is simmering, cut spaghetti squash in half and remove seeds.
10) Microwave each half for 10 minutes, and scoop out squash with a fork into a bowl. Alternative cooking method is baking the spaghetti squash.
11) Toss spaghetti squash “noodles” with sauce, top with meatballs, and serve.
12) Toast Paleo Bread™ to your liking.
13) Add minced garlic towards the end of toasting, and then top of Paleo Butter.
• 15 minutes
• 35-45 minutes
While enjoying this wonderful meal, my wife and I discussed “traditional” spaghetti versus this “spaghetti”, and neither one of us would turn back. Make it Paleo’s version is tastier, more nutritious, and just different (in a good way)! The meatballs were simple to make, and had great taste… And the garlic Paleo Bread™ was delicious and we were happy to know that it is low in carb, high in fiber, and does not include any GMO’s, grains, gluten, dairy, or soy. Plus the nutritious Paleo Butter made us feel better that we were getting more nutrients, especially K2 which is somewhat hard to get!
This was one of the best meals that we have enjoyed in a long time, and we are glad that we were able to purchase the cookbook, the Paleo Bread™, the Paleo Butter, and the Coconut Aminos through Julian Bakery! Their Paleo section has become our one-stop-shop for anything Paleo, and it is constantly growing! If you think that this was too complex, or you simply aren’t a fan of spaghetti squash, I would recommend you try substituting in Miracle Fettuccini (Grain Free – Gluten Free – Carb Free), which also is nutritious in other ways and also is available at www.JulianBakery.com/Paleo ! We hope you enjoyed seeing this meal come together, and please stop by soon for more nutritious and tasty meals using products from Julian Bakery!
By: Dan From Primal4Life
San Diego A List : Julian Bakery
Urban Spoon Listing: Julian Bakery
Paleo Bread By Julian Bakery
Julian Bakery : Store Locator
Julian Bakery: LinkedIn
Julian Bakery : New Oceanside Store -Facebook Page
Another Great Paleo Recipe: Paleo Tomato & Egg Breakfast Sandwich Recipe