Salisbury Steak is one of my favorites, and it’s a perfect Paleo meal… Especially in sandwich form! This is Dan from Primal4Life bringing you a ”Paleo Salisbury Steak Sandwich.” We’ve made a Salisbury Steak meal months ago, and it was great…. But after spotting this recipe from “Everyday Paleo”, we decided to run with their version and modify it slightly. Of course we are changing things up with some awesome Paleo products from Julian Bakery! Items like Paleo Butter for the ultimate in grass-fed ghee, giving you vitamins A, D, and K2, along with CLA Tonalin, and virtually no lactose! If you aren’t a butter fan, I’d recommend Nuco Liquid Premium Coconut Oil. It comes in three flavors, it’s organic, it’s GMO free, and it’s in liquid form as the name implies…. No waiting to melt coconut oil, just pour it; that was easy! And we have some Quantum Pink Salt, a blend of two healthy salts, no anti-caking agent, and a lovely taste to go along for the ride!
And finally, we are busting out our coconut Paleo Bread! I love this stuff and I am thankful for the day I decided to stop in that health food store where I first found Paleo Bread!! There she was, sitting in the freezer, with that nice blue label, putting all the gluten-free breads to shame. No GMO’s, no gluten or grains, made from coconut or almond flour, low in carbs, low in calories, and no soy either! We have a winner!!!!!!!! When it comes to taste, it’s awesome! Sometimes I have a hard time choosing almond or coconut Paleo Bread, decisions, decisions….
Ingredients (for the Steaks):
- 2 pounds of grass-fed ground beef
- 1 cup escarole, finely diced
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon Quantum Pink Salt
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon rubbed sage
- ¼ teaspoon ground marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Paleo Butter or Nuco Liquid Premium Coconut Oil
Ingredients (for the Gravy):
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup beef stock
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- Black pepper to taste
- Quantum Pink Salt to taste
1) In a large mixing bowl place all the ingredients for the steaks and using your hands mix well. In a large skillet, heat the Paleo Butter over medium high heat.
2) While the Paleo Butter is melting, form the hamburger mixture into thin oval patties (makes 7-8). Place the patties into the hot melted butter, make sure it sizzles; you want the pan to be nice and hot! Cook for 2 minutes on each side, the meat should be nice and browned on both sides. You’ll have to cook these in batches so add more Paleo Butter or Nuco Liquid Premium Coconut Oil if necessary. Once all the steaks are done, place in the oven to keep warm and now it’s time for the gravy!
3) In the same pan that you just cooked your steaks in, sauté the onions in the leftover Paleo Butter until tender, about 7-8 minutes. Add the beef stock and deglaze the pan (scrape all the bits off the bottom of the pan that might still be there from cooking the steaks).
4) Bring to a boil and add the coconut milk and pepper. Mix well, bring back to a boil. At this point you’ll want to turn the heat down until the gravy is just simmering. Now you’ll want to reduce down the gravy by stirring frequently for about 10 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken.
5) Toast Paleo Bread to your liking, and complete your Paleo Salisbury Steak Sandwich as you wish.
• 15 minutes
• 20 minutes
The Salisbury Steak came out perfect, it’s like an intense burger using Paleo Bread! I loved the flavorful onions as well, and I am glad we tried out a new recipe. And, with some Paleo Macaroons as a treat afterwards, I was thrilled. Only 2 Net carbs, no sugar, and a ton of deliciousness! Oh, and like the Paleo Bread, they are also GMO free, low in calories and high in fiber, and they can be kept in the fridge or in the freezer!
So if you are looking to enjoy a slammin’ Paleo Salisbury Steak Sandwich like this one, make sure you check out www.JulianBakery.com/Paleo for the Paleo ingredients and Paleo Bread that we incorporated into this one! Julian Bakery is your one-stop-shop for all things Paleo, from Treats to Books, they have you covered! And since this recipe came from Everyday Paleo, why don’t you check out one of their books like Everyday Paleo From Around the World – Italian Cuisine. I hope you enjoyed this meal, we certainly did!!!! And please stop by again soon for more delicious and nutritious meals using some of Julian Bakery’s finest!