There’s nothing better to me than steak and mashed potatoes and I have absolutely fallen in love with paleo mashers, aka mashed cauliflower! Such a bland, boring and rather ugly vegetable but there’s so many different ways to cook and transform it. I have always thought that this vegetable had very little health benefits but man was I wrong! It’s loaded with B vitamins, it’s good for cancer prevention, digestion with its great source of fiber, full of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory from its omega-3 fatty acids, supports a healthy pregnancy with folate, protects from heart disease and a low calorie food which is great for weight loss. Now that I have had some experience cooking this bulbous veggie, I have some tips! First off, remember to puree and/or shred in batches so that you don’t turn the cauliflower into a soggy mush or a cauliflower smoothie like I once did. Secondly, blend the cauliflower for mashers until you can still see quite a bit of clumps and add a little bit of coconut milk to them for a more flavorful dish.
1 head of cauliflower, chopped into about 6-8 pieces
½ c. coconut milk
2 Tbs. coconut oil
1 onion, sliced
4 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- In a medium pot, boil the cauliflower until slightly tender, set aside
- In a large pan, cook the coconut oil over medium high heat and add the onions and cook for about 3 minutes. Once the pan is nice and hot, add the steaks and mushrooms
- Meanwhile, add the cauliflower to a blender and add about ¼ of the coconut milk (you can use more or less depending on the desired consistency) some salt and pepper to taste. Blend until it’s slightly lumpy
- Cook the steaks on each side until the juices start coming out of the top of the steak and browned
- Serve the mashers alongside the steak with some toasted bread, enjoy!
By: Paleo Princess
Make Sure You Check Out This Recipe: Sweet Potato & Chicken Sandwich On Paleo Bread
Check Out Even More Paleo Recipes At The Paleo Bread Blog
Linked In Page (Julian Bakery)