Bacon should have its own food group, seriously… And if you are a fan of bacon, you will absolutely love this one! This is Dan from Primal4Life bringing you a ”Bacon Tart” from Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry. Rachel slaved away on this one while I was at work this afternoon, or at least that’s what it sounded like. When I read the instructions from this awesome cookbook, I think she exaggerated a little bit because it looks quite simple! It’s a healthy recipe that has an awesome amount of organic bacon, some veggies, and we’ve upped the quality even further with a few Julian Bakery staples…. Paleo Butter in the crust, and Sunfood Super Foods Fine Himalayan Crystal Salt in both the crust and the tart… Paleo Butteris a French style ghee that is low in lactose, made from grass-fed cows, and works well in just about anything that you put it in or on. It’s also packed with vitamins A, D, and K2, and CLA Tonalin. Basically, it has lots of good stuff in it, and it tastes great! And likewise with the Himalayan Salt, it not only has a wonderful taste of a very nice salt, but it is packed with trace minerals and other health benefits that other salts, especially table salt, does not provide.
Ingredients (for the Shallot Tart Crust):
• 1¼ cups blanched almond flour
• 1 large egg
• ¼ cup Paleo Butter
• 1 shallot, minced (about 1 tbsp)
Directions (for the crust):
1) Preheat oven to 350 F
2) In a food processor; pulse together the almond flour and Himalayan Salt. Pulse in the egg and Paleo Butter, then pulse in the shallots until the dough forms a ball.
3) Press the dough evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch metal tart pan with a removable bottom.
4) Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, until the crust is golden. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before filling.
Ingredients (for the Bacon Tart)
• 1 lb organic bacon
• 8 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
• 8 large eggs
• ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 350 F
2) In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes.
3) Remove the bacon from the skillet and, when cool enough to handle, mince.
4) Pour off and discard the fat from the skillet. Return the minced bacon to the skillet, add the scallions, and sauté for 3 minutes.
5) In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, pepper, and Himalayan Salt. Stir in the bacon and scallions, then pour the mixture into the prepared crust.
6) Bake the tart for 25 to 30 minutes, until browned around the edges and cooked through.
7) Let cool for 20 minutes, then serve.
• 20 minutes
• 45 minutes
Yields: 1 Bacon Tart
When we got to dig into this wonderful meal, I was astonished at how good it was…. Bacon chunks that are so pronounced, with a nice soft crust… It really made my night!!! And with a little Paleo Chocolate to go along with it, I was mixing up bites here and there and getting some bacon and chocolate at the same time. Wowzers!!! Talk about a treat. Paleo Chocolate is one of the finest dark chocolates that I have ever come across, but it doesn’t stop there. It doesn’t have GMO’s, soy, lecithin, or any sugar! And, it’s naturally flavored, either plain, orange, mint, or variety and yes they all taste incredible!
Thank you for taking the time to preview this Paleo dinner recipe. This meal wouldn’t have come together without the Paleo Butter, the Sunfood Super Foods Fine Himalayan Crystal Salt, and of course Elana’s fantastic cookbook “Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry”. Make sure you go to Julian Bakery’s Paleo section, and check these items out, stock up on some Paleo Bread, and don’t forget to try some Paleo Chocolate as well!
Check Us Out On Pinterest: Julian Bakery Page
Check Out These Other Articles: