6 slices of Julian Bakery’s Smart Carb # 2 -Cinnamon Raisin bread
1/2 cup liquid egg whites
1 cup fat-free milk (or soy or almond milk)
1/2 cup whole wheat flower
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
pinch teaspoon salt
pinch of nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons canola oil, or cooking spray (not olive oil flavored!)
1. Whisk together egg whites, milk, flour, brown sugar, vanilla, salt, nutmeg & cinnamon. Make sure everything is really well blended/mixed! Put mixture in any kind of flat, shallow dish. For example, I used a glass pie dish, you could also use an 8×10 pan, etc.
2. Heat a large skillet, or griddle, to medium-low heat.
3. When the skillet is hot, add 1 tablespoon canola oil (or generous amount of cooking spray) If the oil sizzles, or a lot of smoke comes up after spraying, your heat is too high. (I started my stove on medium-low to start but turned it down to low once I put the first slice on and it worked well).
4. Dip each slice of bread into the batter, generously soaking each side so the whole slice is smothered in batter. Let very little of the batter drip off, then place on skillet.
6. Cook each slice until it appears all of the egg is cooked by ensuring there is no visible white spots or white creases. Since we used wheat flour, cinnamon, and brown sugar, they will appear rather brown after cooking (as shown in the picture), so don’t let this scare you.
‘Did You Know?’
For most things I cook (not red meat, poultry, etc.), I always say it is best to cook on a lower temperature, even if it means waiting longer, rather than cook on a higher temperature. Especially when it comes to healthy cooking and using Julian Bakery Bread in your recipes, because the last thing you want is a temperature too hot that it dries up the bread and zaps the flavor and nutrients. In fact, many B vitamins found in grains and breads, such as Thiamin, B6, B12 and Folate, are heat-sensitive and can be lost if cooked at high temperatures for too long. So to ensure that you are getting every bit of all the healthy nutrients Julian Bakery Bread has to offer, when cooking with me, I’ll always make sure your cooking and baking is always done at the lowest temperatures and minimal times possible to still get the results you want!