1 medium eggplant
5 slices Julian Bakery’s Dinner Bread (sliced about 1/2 in. thick)
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tbsp garlic powder
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. paprika
2/3 cup liquid eggwhite
2 tbsp. water
3-14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes
1-7 oz. pkg. fat free mozzarella cheese
1. Prepare bread crumbs as directed below
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
3. Coat 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray or 1 tbsp of olive oil
4. Mix together the cans of tomatoes into a bowl, spreading 1 cup on bottom of 13×9 (over spray/olive oil)
5. Thinly slice eggplant and sprinkle salt over slices
6. Mix eggwhites and water in one dish, and mix flour and paprika in another dish
7. Dip and coat both sides of each eggplant slice into first the flour mixture, second the eggwhite mixture, and lastly, the breadcrumb mixture.
8. Drizzle olive oil on skillet on medium stove. Fry each side of eggplant until browned, making sure eggplant is soft.
9. Layer 13×9 with slices, sauce, and then mozzarella cheese, repeating until everything is used up.
10. Bake 30 minutes. Serve with pasta, or for a low-carb option, a bed of spinach.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
1. Lightly toast sliced bread, break apart into chunks and put in food processor or blender to grind into tiny crumbs.
2. Spread crumbs into a wide oven-safe dish or cookie sheet (I used a pie plate). Put in oven for about 10 mins, but stay on stand-by to stir crumbs at least every 2 mins, every 1 min towards the end! The crumbs should be about medium brown.
3. Add basil, parsley, garlic powder and parmesan cheese to the crumbs and mix together
‘Did You Know?’ Health Benefits:
Eggplant-excellent sources of dietary fiber, potassium and manganese. One of its phytonutrients, nasunin, has been proven to protect brain cell membranes and makes eggplant popular as a brain food.
I bet many of you would have never guessed that most store bought breadcrumbs, and the can probably sitting in your pantry right now, has high fructose corn syrup- the ingredient scientists have proven to be dangerous, and what many blame as a reason for the increasing obesity and diabetes! So why not make your breadcrumbs with our flavorful organic selections-vegan, gluten free, low carb, low calories, you pick!