“I like green eggs and ham! I do!! I like them, Sam-I-am!” This is Dan from Primal4Life bringing you “Green Eggs & Ham with Pesto”. If Sam had tried green eggs and ham with some kale pesto and coconut Paleo Bread, the story would have ended much more abruptly…. Sam would have stopped flappin’ his gums and would have sat down and devoured his meal! Cause that’s what I did this morning, once this meal was plated up and ready to go.
Straight out of The 30 Day Guide to Paleo Cooking from Hayley Mason and Bill Staley, this recipe stood out like a sore thumb for me once I saw it. That pesto had me cravin’ something fierce, and I got right to business. This cookbook has so many delicious and healthy Paleo meals, from “Lamb asparagus stir-fry” to their incredible “Roasted rosemary carrots with onion”…. So many appetizing meals, so little time!
- 2 slices coconut Paleo Bread
- 2 cups kale, deveined
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (I substituted with sunflower seeds)
- ½ cup olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Sunfood Super Foods Fine Himalayan Crystal Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 TBSP Paleo Butter
- 4 free range organic eggs
- 6 pieces organic ham
- Avocado slices for garnish
1) For the pesto, pulse the kale leaves and pine nuts/sunflower seeds in a food processor.
2) While the mixture is processing, slowly add the olive oil and lemon juice.
3) Add salt and pepper to taste.
4) Continue to process until all ingredients are evenly blended.
5) Heat the Paleo Butter in a skillet over medium heat.
6) Crack the eggs into the skillet, sprinkle them with black pepper, and cook on low until the whites are cooked through.
7) Toast Paleo Bread.
8) In another skillet, fry the ham on medium-heat until crispy.
9) Plate the ham over Paleo Bread, the eggs over the ham, drizzle with the kale pesto, and garnish with avocado slices.
How delicious was this Paleo breakfast? Words cannot describe it… Hayley and Bill, as usual, put out an incredible meal, that may look complex to some, but isn’t tough to whip up at all. If you are a fan of this one, I recommend you check out their other wonderful cookbook; Gather, The Art of Paleo Entertaining.
Since many of us have been counting carbs, proteins, sugars, let’s break it down. This meal has just eleven net carbs, thirty eight grams of protein, and four grams of sugar. It has some delicious egg yolks, filled with healthy omega fats and proteins, and choline. It has some savory organic ham, a delicious and very healthy pesto made from kale, and a caveman approved bread made from coconut. Julian Bakery’s Paleo Bread is the only bread that I will consume, as it allows me to feel good since its soy, gluten and grain free, as well as allowing me to stay in a ketogenic state so I can constantly burn fat. Fat is my fuel, sugar is no longer where I get my energy from…. Once fat adapted, through eating healthy and low-carb/low-sugar, you will feel the burn. Literally. And you can do this with Paleo Bread, and other healthy products used in this meal like Paleo Butter.
So check out www.JulianBakery.com/Paleo which will allow you to burn, baby burn…. You can also visit their two California locations, in La Jolla and Oceanside, if you are in the area. Thanks for checking out this version of green eggs and ham, and please stop by again!
Previous Blog Post: Chicken & Paleo Waffles Recipe