This is Dan from Primal4Life bringing you “Saffron Rice – from the cookbook; Gather.” So we were looking for another awesome Paleolicious cookbook, and where’s the first place that we go for the latest and greatest? We go to www.JulianBakery.com/Paleo/Books – yeah, Julian Bakery, Paleo Bread, that wonderful bakery that has tons of Paleo foods, bars, supplements, and even the hottest cookbooks!
The latest book that we are into is “Gather”, by Hayley Mason and Bill Staley. From the second that we saw the cover, we knew this would be a fantastic cookbook. It looks very rustic, almost like it was photographed in Tuscany. Flipping through it for the first time, many, many meals caught my eye, like “Cuban Baby Back Ribs”, “Sweet and Tangy Venison Meatballs”, “Standing Rib Roast with Horseradish Sauce” or even a nice dessert like “Blackberry Cobbler with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream”. Besides the great looking and sounding meals, what’s nice about this book is that it is setup to guide you through the four-seasons…. And within the seasons, there are different scenarios, like “Springtime Tea Party” during the Spring. For summer there’s “A Night in Tuscany” – see I told you it reminded me of Tuscany!!! Fall has “Spooky Supper” with a bunch of meals to help you come up with Paleo Halloween ideas… And winter has the “Hunter-Gatherer Feast” which sounds like its right up my alley!
So we decided to try out “Arroz Azafran (Saffron Rice)”, to go with our chicken kabob skewers (spiced up with Paleo Powder, and a side of Almond Paleo Bread). It looks delicious from the photo, so why not!?!?
• 3 heads cauliflower – grated
• 1 red bell pepper
• 1 yellow onion
• 8 strands of saffron
• 3 tablespoons Nuco Liquid Premium Coconut Oil – Original Flavor
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Flat leave parsley for garnish
• 1 slice almond Paleo Bread
1) Rinse the cauliflower under cold water, and pat it dry. Shred with food processor or use a box grater into a rice-like texture.
2) Place grated cauliflower into a large mixing bowl.
3) Dice the bell pepper and onion, and place them in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Refrigerate the vegetables until cooking time.
4) Crush the saffron strands using a mortar and pestle. Place the crushed saffron in a small mixing bowl, and cover it with hot water to dissolve it.
5) In a large skillet, heat one tablespoon of Nuco Liquid Premium Coconut Oil over medium heat.
6) Add the onion and bell pepper to the skillet, and sauté them until tender (about 5 minutes).
7) Add another tablespoon of Nuco Liquid Premium Coconut Oil to the skillet, and continue to sauté the onion and peppers.
8) Add the saffron-infused water to the skillet, and sauté the onion and pepper until all of the water evaporates.
9) Add the cauliflower to the skillet, season with salt and pepper to taste, and lightly sauté until the cauliflower is tender but not soft. Garnish with the chopped parsley, and serve with your favorite hot sauce.
• 20 minutes
• 20 minutes
Now that I’ve had the luxury of enjoying this meal, I (and my guests agree) absolutely loved this dish… The saffron rice was ultra tasty, and oh so Paleo! And combined with the all natural and GMO free Nuco Liquid Coconut Oil that we bought from Julian Bakery, it was that much better! Another point that we should mention about Gather is that for each “chapter” or “situation” under the four-seasons, they have a “Shopping and Preparation” which comes in handy, as they provide little tidbits on what to do/get a day before the event, down to when your guests arrive.
So make sure you check out www.JulianBakery.com/Paleo for Gather, along with your Paleo Bread! And look forward to more great recipes from Gather, and from several other great Paleo cookbooks that we picked up from Julian Bakery. Thanks for stopping by to check us out, and we hope you have a great day!
Dan From Primal4Life
Also Coming Soon Out Gluten & Grain Free Paleo Wraps (Non-Raw Version)
Check Out This Article: Top Six Ways To Reach Your Paleo Diet Goals