Where oh where did my allergies go? Gone with the wind? No, gone with Paleo is more like it! This is Dan from Primal4Life bringing you an “Escarole & Bacon Salad Paleo Wrap”. One thing is for sure, I know how I ditched my allergies; by eating clean, real foods like just this delicious Paleo Wrap that I have on display today. As a child, I watched my mom sneeze and cry her way through each and every spring, and I thought “Boy am I glad I don’t suffer from these allergies like my mom!” Guess what, once I hit my early teens, I was sneezin’ up a storm. In my twenties, I realized that even driving by someone cutting their lawn had me itching my eyes. But in my thirties I slowly ditched all that, along with migraines, acid reflux, eczema and many other concerns that most of us attribute to genes, getting old, or part of life.
See, by ditching processed foods, gluten, grains, soy, and even poor quality dairy, I have eliminated most of the inflammatory foods that trigger a histamine response. By cleaning up what goes on my plate and thus into my mouth and body, my body not only feels and performs better, but apparently it has a higher ability to fight back against pollen, grass, and more. Other foods that may help your body fight allergies would be nightshade vegetables (peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes (except sweet potatoes), eggs, alcohol, and poor quality dairy. I can attest to the alcohol and dairy, as wine usually has my nose stuffed up in minutes, while dairy will sometimes cause a scratchy throat. This is why when I do dairy, I keep it organic and raw for the best quality I can find. Keep in mind everyone responds differently to different foods, and I also recommend a period of time where you eliminate these foods completely and then reintroduce to get a true sense of what is going on.
- 1 Paleo Wrap
- 2 cups fresh escarole
- 4 strips organic nitrate-free bacon
Ingredients: (for the dressing):
- ½ TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves
- ½ TBSP fresh lemon juice
- Sunfood SuperFoods Fine Himalayan Crystal Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Onion powder to taste
1) Start by cooking your bacon, I usually cook ours in the oven for about 30 minutes at 350F; beginning with the oven turned off. Insert bacon on tray, turn oven and timer on, remove and place on paper towels when cooked to your liking.
2) Wash escarole, cut into smaller, more edible pieces, and pat dry with paper towel.
3) Make the dressing: Heat ¾ tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until golden. Remove from heat; add ¾ tablespoons fresh lemon juice, along with Himalayan Salt, freshly ground black pepper, and onion powder to taste.
4) Drizzle dressing over escarole, and toss to coat, then add to your Paleo Wrap.
5) Cut bacon into 1”-2” pieces, then add to your Paleo Wrap.
6) Season with more salt and pepper if you wish, and enjoy!
Prep Time: 4 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Look at this meal, it’s not only made with real foods, and not “food products”, but it has all healthy stuff! It’s loaded with fresh escarole, anti-inflammatory garlic, a great source of fat from the EVOO, and some nitrate-free and organic bacon. Don’t forget about the nutritious Himalayan salt, providing our bodies with eighty-four trace minerals! And, last but not least, our delicious and low-carb Paleo Wraps! Made from organic coconut, without GMO’s, gluten, grains, soy, dairy, starch or added salt.
This is just another example of how I ditched my allergies, how I no longer get heart-burn, and how I keep eczema at bay. Now I mow the lawn with pride, without suffering the consequences! Some will say that our allergies change every seven years, and I can buy into that. But I truly feel that diet is a key factor in eliminating many of our issues, without the need for a pill.
Keep eating clean, keep it low in the carb department, and you too just might notice an improvement! It will take time, be patient, but stay positive and get healthy! So make sure you check out www.JulianBakery.com/Paleo for some delicious Paleo products that will get you right on track! They have some wonderful products made with real ingredients, so you too can enjoy non-inflammatory foods that get your body revved up and in optimal shape!
Previous Blog Post: Power-Up Greens & Grass-Fed Beef Paleo Wrap